top of page
  • Tim Kraemer

Household Plant Safety

Household plants are a popular decorative item often used to help bring a feeling of freshness and nature indoors. They can provide purification to the air and give off oxygen. But household plants can also be a hazard to both humans and pets. Below are some of the most popular easy-to-keep-alive household plants. We’ve included information on whether or not these plants could cause harm to humans or pets. Keep in mind that all plants have the ability to cause illness if too much is ingested by either a child or pet.

ZZ Plant: has beautiful polished leaves. Requires little water and sunshine. Helps purify air. All parts are poisonous. Keep away from children and pets. If you have to handle the plant, use gloves or wash your hands immediately after handling.

Snake Plant: Long leaved. Requires little water and can survive in the near dark. Is toxic to humans mainly if ingested, but a skin reaction may occur as well. Toxic to cats and dogs.

Ponytail Palm: A mini palm tree look with a bulbous succulent base. Needs consistent light and very little water. Considered non-poisonous to humans and pets.

Bird of Paradise: large crane-like leaves. Needs consistent watering, sunlight and weekly dustings. Leaves are poisonous to humans and pets when eaten.

Dracaena Lemon Lime: A harmful, busy plant with lemon-lime colored leaves. An air purifier and oxygen producer. Requires moderate amounts of water and sunshine. Toxic to pets.

Iron Plant: A tough plant with dark green droopy leaves. Requires very little light and water.

Jade Plant: Small ornamental succulent which grows slowly. Loves direct sunlight and doesn’t need a lot of water. Considered non-poisonous to humans and pets.

Peace Lily: Blooms flowers twice a year. Thrives in humid environments with a few hours of sunlight per day. Thought to be one of the most natural air purifiers in the world. Toxic to humans and pets if ingested.

Money Tree: Large verdant leaves with a braided trunk. Requires moderate watering. Thrives off of fluorescent light. Considered non-poisonous to humans and pets.

Are you aware of the toxicity level of the plants currently in your home?

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page