Interior Design: Rustic versus Farmhouse
Last month we compared different styles of home architecture and this month we are headed inside to compare different styles of interior design!
A look at Rustic Design.
Rustic design is focused on creating a natural, outdoorsy feel.
To create a rustic design, generally the following elements should be included:
· Vibe: organic
· Materials: raw and unfinished wood and stone
· Colors: neutrals, deep jewel colors such as pink, purple, green and blue
· Fabrics: leather, faux furs, chunky knits
· Furniture: rounded and curved pieces, mismatched eclectic mix of furniture
· Accessories: practical and functional such as blankets, lamps and pillows
A look at Farmhouse Design.
Farmhouse design is focused on creating a relaxed, warm feel. This design also creates a lot of character in rooms.
To create a farmhouse design, generally the following elements should be included:
· Vibe: comfortable and soothing
· Materials: industrial metals, wood and tile
· Colors: neutrals
· Fabrics: natural design and patterns
· Furniture: simple pieces
· Accessories: this is where farmhouse really stands out with unique fixtures such as lighting, doors, windows, etc.
Both rustic and farmhouse interior designs focus on a creating a comfortable, natural character. Often times you can see rustic and farmhouse combined. Would you choose either of these designs for your home? Or would you combine the two?