Protect Your Home During the Holidays: take the following simple steps to keep your home secure and safe this holiday season.
· Inspect your furnace or chimney (or both). Heating systems cause over 2,600 deaths per year by house fires. Take the time to have your furnace inspected by a professional and sweep out the chimney. It’s a good time to check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors too!
· Keep an eye on your lights. December is the deadliest month for electric fires-many which are started by string lights. Inspect your lights and check for fraying cords and cracked bulbs. If you find damaged strings, discontinue using them! It is always a good idea to turn off holiday lights while you are away or sleeping. Or you could use timer switches to keep your lights on for a few hours during the night.
· Don’t share your travel plans. Making your travel plans public-especially via social media can be a great way for thieves to know when you’ll be away. Only tell the people who need to know your plans!
· Tell your neighbors. If you are planning to be out of town, notify a few trusted neighbors who can keep an eye on your home while you’re away.
· Hide the gifts. Reconsider putting gifts under the tree, especially if you are going to be away for longer periods. Gifts under trees can be an open invitation for burglars.
December is the peak month for burglaries and house fires! Take a little time to protect your home and family this holiday season! May you all have a happy and safe holiday season!